This guide will walk you through the steps needed to enroll an Apple device that is in the Device Enrollment Program (DEP) into Cisco Meraki System Manager.
The Device Enrollment Program simplifies initial setup by automating mobile device management (MDM) enrollment and supervision of devices during setup and enabling you to manage the devices without having to manually connect them to a computer. To further simplify the process, it’s now even easier to skip certain Setup Assistant screens so users can start using their devices right out of the box.
- The device has been enrolled into DEP by the reseller.
- The connection between Apple Deployment Programs and Cisco Meraki is set up.
- The device is setup to enroll into the correct MDM at deploy.apple.com web application.
- The device has to be at the setup process (you will need to factory reset a device if you have passed this process) Read this guide to rest an iOS device to Factory Settings.
Step 1 - Checking if the device is in the DEP program
Skip this step if you are certain the device is already in the DEP program or you are resetting an iPad that is already in Cisco Meraki System Manager and has a cloud icon next to it in the client list.
To check if a device is in the DEP programlogin to http://deploy.apple.com. Once you are logged in you will see the following.
Select ‘Device Enrollment Programme’ from the menu down the left side and navigate to ‘View Assignment History’. Here you will be able to see all your organisations device purchases and what MDM server you have assigned them to.
If you select the ‘Details’ link found on the right side, you will be able to download the serial numbers (found at the top right). This is a .csv document that contains a list of devices enrolled in the DEP program and assigned to a MDM Server.
Example of .csv document.
In this document you will be able to find a device by its serial number, if it's found in one of the download documents it is set up correctly and ready to be set up.
Step 2 - Setting up the Device
This step is the main process of enrolling a DEP device into Cisco Meraki System Manager. This can not be skipped and will happen every time the device is reset to factory settings.
- Turn the device on and select your language and country.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network, and enabling Location Services.
- Agree for this device to be manage by Apple DEP and for it to automatically enrol into the MDM server specified at http://deploy.apple.com.
Step 3 - Checking the enrollment and tagging the Device
Now that the device has been set up and you can see the home screen, login to Cisco Meraki System Manager and make sure it has enrolled successfully. Also if the device was already enrolled but reset to factory settings, all the Apps should start downloading.