The Device Enrollment Program (DEP) lets you quickly assign Apple devices to your mobile device management (MDM) servers so you can automate enrollment, wirelessly supervise devices, and skip basic setup steps. Once a device is enrolled into DEP the device is forever owned by the organisation. So every time the iPad is reset, the user will always be prompt to re enroll back into the MDM.
- No Apple IDs needed
- Because devices are enrolled into the DEP we do not use Find my iPad. If a device is stolen and factory reset, the end user will have to enroll the device back into the school MDM for the device not to be a brick. Once they do that we can track it down via IP address.
- Zero-touch configuration
- Automated enrollment
- Wireless supervision
- Mandatory MDM enrollment during setup
- iOS 9+ MDM features
- New Zealand Apple distributors won’t enroll old iPads
- Device is collected
- If the device isn't new it will be factory reset (either via Apple Configurator 2 or on the Device under settings)
- On the device we go through the initial setup process selecting language & country, connecting to the school's Wi-Fi and make sure location services is on.
- During this process you will be prompted to enroll the device into DEP (this will supervise the device and enroll it into the schools MDM - either Cisco Meraki System Manager or ZuluDesk).
- Settings and Apps are push down from the MDM (no need to login with an Apple ID for Find my iPad or the Apple Store)